Alain Ducasse’s 12 Core Values
A few days after the release of Alain Ducasse’s talk at MAD3, the chef’s team in Monaco sent over the booklet that illustrates the 12 Core Values of his restaurant group. These tenets are something Ducasse referred to several times at MAD, most notably when he explained that at least one out of every ten decisions the company makes should be a failure. If not, according to Ducasse, they aren’t taking enough risks.
Holding the book in your hands it becomes clear why Ducasse Entreprise doesn’t really circulate these online: they want their staff to hold them and keep them. Ducasse may have restaurants everywhere from St. Petersburg to Doha, but he wants everyone to be on the same page. And to see this as a bit more than just corporate pablum. He’s even included a notebook in the back of booklet for employees that want to bring it along to work with them.
It’s no wonder that Bill Buford recently referred to Ducasse as a “fusspot.”
We can’t help you out with a printed version, but here’s a glimpse at the book and a list of the twelve core values:
1. Passion — Just love… and the rest will follow.
2. Pleasure — To delight our guests is our mission each day.
3. Sharing — Every day learn a little more.
4. Harmony — Act in harmony to deliver a flawless ballet.
5. Leadership — Be the first one… Sky is the limit.
6. Rigor — Reach perfection with rigorous practice.
7. Curiosity — Always keep our eyes open to the world around us.
8. Melting (Diversity) — The melting pot of cultures is a treasure.
9. Excellence — Strive for excellence through the slightest detail.
10. Respect — Respect your peers… You’ll never walk alone.
11. Audacity — Do not fear to undertake.
12. Origins — Remember your roots to know where to go.